Established as a free public library in 1897, the building construction was funded by the generous gift of Charles H. Ludington in honor of his mother-in-law. Originally organized and operated by the Ladies Library Association, their funds were merged with the Phoebe Griffin Noyes Trust to create the present library association.
Subsequent additions were added to the building to meet the developing needs of a growing community. The most recent and ambitious expansion was in 1995, which more than doubled the square footage of the previous building, including a large Children’s Room and Community Room for public use.
Designed to incorporate library automation and Internet access while maintaining quiet and inviting reading areas, the library strives to meet the changing role of the public library for its patrons.